Advice for First Time Travelers
Posted on 08/02/2016 in Travel
Many of us who’ve been going on exotic and adventurous vacations our entire lives take traveling for granted. We forget that travel is a luxury that not everyone can afford. So if you’ve never been on a big vacation before, don’t fret! We have the advice to ensure that your first vacation is a success and just the 1st in a line of many!
- Do plenty of research on the weather before you start packing so you have an idea of what sort of climate to pack for.
- Bring a jacket, extra socks, a spare t-shirt, and extra undies because it never hurts to pack for the unexpected!
- Focus on just 3 pairs of shoes: sneakers, slip ons, and a nice pair for dinner.
- Hide some extra cash in your suitcase, because it helps to have if anything happens to your wallet!
- Bring a small traveler’s health kit, with band-aids, ibuprofen, and medicine of upset stomach.
- Invest in unique luggage or tie a bright, colorful scarf around your suitcase so you can easily identify it.
- Get to the airport earlier than you think you need to. It’s better to be bored at the airport than miss your flight!
- Eat before you get to the airport, and pack a few snacks, as airport food prices tend to be pretty expensive.
- If you’re flight is overnight, plan to take sleeping pills or stay awake based on what time you’re supposed to land in your final destination. Planning ahead is key to beating jetlag!
- Bring prepared travel entertainment: a deck of cards, a full charged iPad with lots of books to read or movies to watch, and a spare charger.
- Pack toothbrush, toothpaste, and a spare change of clothes in your carry on.
Experiencing a New Culture
- Be polite and smile; a smile can take you a long way!
- Do your research ahead of time to avoid getting lost or turned around.
- Be alert, but there’s no need to be paranoid!
- Soak up the new culture: look for restaurants that are different than you can find at home (after all, isn’t that the reason you left in the first place?)